Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) conducts the National Entrance Examination (NET) once every year for admission into its various master programs offered at its four campuses. The unique nature of the courses offered by TISS, with specializations in fields like Economics, Politics, Habitat, Engineering, Health, Environmental Sciences, etc. makes TISSNET one of the most sought-after exams. Thousands of aspirants compete in the exam annually against the limited number of admission seats.
If you aim to ace TISSNET, you must know about its detailed exam structure. Once you are well-versed with TISSNET exam pattern, you can devise a sound preparation strategy for the exam day. So, here we give the complete description of TISSNET exam pattern 2022, along with the related information.
Following is an overview of the key features of TISSNET:
||Computer-based online test
|Number of Sections
|Areas of Testing
||General Awareness, Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, and English Proficiency
||No negative marking
||1 hr 40 min (100 min)
|Number of questions
||Objective questions with 4 or 5 options
TISSNET Exam Pattern 2022
The following table illustrates the sectional division of TISSNET:
||No. of Questions
|Mathematics and Logical Reasoning
Main Features of TISSNET Exam Pattern
- No sectional time limits
- One mark awarded for each correct answer
- No individual sectional cut-offs; except for General Awareness
- Different TISSNET cut-offs specified for different M.A./M.Sc. and other master degree programmes.
- Sectional cut-off of 35% for General category candidates; 30% for OBC (NC) and PWD; No Sectional Cut off for SC/ST
TISSNET Exam Pattern: Explained in Detail
Different sections of the exam carry different weightage and are devised to check the awareness level and decision-making skills of the candidates. As shown in the above-given tables, each question carries equal marks yet the number of questions varies from one question to another. So, here we provide the details of all the sections as per the TISSNET exam pattern 2022, along with some quick preparation tips:
- The General Awareness section (including Social Issues) contains 40 questions which are moderate to difficult types. If you are zealous and enthusiastic to gather all the latest information about what is happening around the world, this section will be a cakewalk for you. So, stay updated on significant Politico- Social events and topics ranging from Culture, Sports, Famous Personalities and Places, History, Geography, Theatre, etc.
- The 30 questions from Mathematics and Logical Reasoning section test your analytical and numerical abilities. The broad areas covered in this section include mathematical concepts like prime numbers, composite numbers, ratio, percentage, averages, time and work, etc. Apart from this, there are questions based on graphical data, family tree, analogy, conclusions based on given premises, etc. To ace your preparation in this section, all you need to do is revise your basic concepts and the ability to analyze the given data or information.
- A total of 30 questions constitute the English Proficiency section. Reading Comprehension, Sentence Formation, Error Spotting, Fill in the blanks with appropriate words, Antonyms. Synonyms, One Word Substitution are some of the areas covered. You should have proper knowledge and understanding of the language, vocabulary skills and grammar to be proficient in this section.
TISSNET 2022: Important Things to Know
Apart from TISSNET exam pattern, you need to be aware of other essential information, that would keep you away from the last-minute panic.
- TISSNET 2022 will be conducted in February at different centers across the country.
- The online application for TISS admissions will be available from November 2021.
- Students should note that last date for online form application or registration is January 2022.
- Unlike previous years’ paper, TISSNET 2022 will not have negative marking for any program including HRM.
- Although the TISSNET exam pattern remains same broadly as given on official website, the type and difficulty level of the questions varies from year to year.
- Only shortlisted candidates (based on the TISSNET score) will receive call letters for the further rounds that will be held in Mumbai, Hyderabad and Guwahati.
- To get the scorecard, you have to visit the TISS website and login and download their score.
TISS Selection Process 2022
The admission rounds at TISS begin with TISSNET, followed by further assessments. After TISSNET, candidates are shortlisted for the next rounds, which include another test/ extempore, and a personal interview. Each stage of selection is assigned a particular weightage, that finally determines the candidate's final scores. The following table displays the importance of each round in TISS admission:
|TISSNET : 50%
||Extempore : 20%
||Personal Interview (PI) : 30%
In order to secure the admission seat in the suitable programme, shortlisted candidates are required to qualify the Pre-Interview Test/ assessments and Personal Interview. The candidates should be aware that there can be some variations as regards to in the assessment process for different programmes. Besides, these assessments usually test the candidate's general knowledge, clarity of mind, and communication skills.
So, now that you have all the information regarding TISSNET exam pattern, you can proceed to gathering the essential study resources and making a proper preparation schedule.
Must Read TISS-NET Articles