Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) conducts the National Entrance Examination (NET) once every year for admission into its various management programs across various TISS campuses and affiliated institutes. The unique nature of the various courses offered by TISS, with specializations in fields like Economics, Politics, Habitat, Engineering, Health, Environmental Sciences, etc. make it one of the most sought after exams.
To boost your score in TISSNET, it is essential that you understand the exam pattern well. This will not only help you devise a sound preparation strategy but will also help to know what to expect from the exam.
Following is an overview of the TISSNET:
|Mode||Computer based online test|
|Number of Sections||3|
|Areas of Testing||General Knowledge, Analytical Ability, Logical Reasoning, and English Proficiency|
|Negative Marking||No negative marking|
|Duration||1 hr 40 min (100 min)|
|Number of questions||100|
|Question Type||Objective questions with 4 or 5 options|
The sectional division of the test is given in the following table:
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|Analytical Ability and Logical Reasoning||30||30|
TISS selection process consists of two stages and has three components. All candidates appear for the common entrance test (TISSNET). Based on the performance in the TISS-NET examination, only short listed candidates are called for the Pre-Interview Test and Personal Interview (PIT and PI).
Let us have a quick look at a few things you should know about the TISSNET 2018:
- The 2018 computer based TISSNET will be conducted in the first week of January, 2018, from 2:00 pm to 3:40 pm in 39 centers across the country.
- Unlike previous years’ paper, TISSNET 2018 will not have negative marking for any program including HRM.
- There are no sectional time-limits in TISSNET 2018.
- Only short-listed candidates (based on the TISSNET score) will receive call letters for the second round (PIT and PI) which will be held in Mumbai, Hyderabad and Guwahati.
- For all the programmes across various TISS Campuses, the PIT will be conducted in the form of a Written Test.
- The details of the sections for the TISSNET 2018 exam pattern are:
- The General Awareness and Social Issues section contains 40 questions which can be of moderate to difficult type. If you are zealous and enthusiastic to gather all the latest information about what is happening around the world, this section will be a cakewalk for you. Be an avid reader to update your knowledge on significant Politico- Social events and topics ranging from Culture, Sports, Famous Personalities and Places, History, Geography, Theatre, etc. Click here to know the insights of General Awareness Section.
- The 30 questions from Analytical Ability and Logical Reasoning section will test you on your analytical and numerical ability. The broad areas covered in this section include mathematical concepts like prime numbers, composite numbers, ratio, percentage, averages, time and work, etc. Apart from this, there are questions based on graphical data, family tree, analogy, conclusions based on given premises, etc. To ace your preparation in this section, all you need to do is revise your basic concepts and the ability to analyze the given data or information.
- A total of 30 questions constitute the English Proficiency section. Reading Comprehension, Sentence Formation, Error Spotting, Fill in the blanks with appropriate words, Antonyms. Synonyms, One Word Substitution are some of the areas covered. You should have proper knowledge and understanding of the language, vocabulary skills and grammar to be proficient in this section.