Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai popularly known as TISS offers a range of Masters' programs at various campuses. The most sought after courses are offered by The School of Management and Labour Studies. Students can pursue Masters of Arts in Human Resource Management and Labour Relations or Social Entrepreneurship or Organisation Development, Change and Leadership. TISS has its own National Entrance Test i.e. TISS has its own National Entrance Test i.e. TISSNET. The exam will be held in the third week of February 2022 for the academic year 2022-24. The selection process (2022-24) comprises following steps
- TISS-NET (Computer-based test) (Stage-1)
- TISS- PAT (Programme Aptitude Test) (Stage -2)
- TISS – MAT ( only for HRM & LR and ODCL - Mumbai campus) (Stage- 2)
- Online Personal Interview (OPI)
The paper can be split into three parts: concept driven, practice intensive and environment sensitive.
- Mathematics & select areas of English Language Proficiency are concept driven and it is suggested that you brush up your fundamentals in these areas to develop the required competence.
- Logical Reasoning and select areas of English Language Proficiency are practice intensive and it is recommended that you practice across a good number of similar questions to build desired comfort levels.
- The General Awareness section is environment sensitive and demands you to prepare both current and static components of awareness. Following is a section wise preparation strategy with specific mention of thrust areas in each section:-
This section poses a challenge to the test taker on account of its vastness; just about every event seems to qualify from a test perspective. However, understanding the priority areas in the past could help to develop a more convergent approach. Candidates preparing for TISS-NET should understand that there is a sectional-cut off for General Awareness. Those who score below the minimum-cut-off mark for General Awareness will not qualify TISS- NET.
Therefore, a thorough preparation for this section is extremely important.
Major areas to be covered are :
- Social Studies
- Science and Technology
- Art and Culture
- Indian HIstory
Mathematics & Logical Reasoning
Conventional preparation of this section demands comfort levels in the modules of Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry and Modern Maths. However, the following areas have received more importance in the past years:-
- Basic Geometry
- Basic Set Concepts
- Time, Speed & Distance
- Ratio & Proportion
- Basic Algebra
- Simultaneous Equations
- Number Theory
- Logical Reasoning with reference to the following types of questions:-
- Identifying patterns in number sets
- Determining validity of conclusions based on given premises
Major areas in this section are:
- Word Analogies
- Vocabulary, with questions on appropriate pairing of words and antonyms
- Rearranging sentences
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Correction
- Odd-one -out
Important Note : Sectional Cut-off Information:
GN,EWS, KM and AF- 35% i.e 14 Marks
PWD and OBC (NC) – 30% i.e 12 Marks
SC and ST – No Sectional cut-off applied
Overall, it would help you to follow a three-pronged approach:-
- Having a structured approach to preparation will help you to master each section. Focus on concept knowledge and enhance your knowledge by covering each topic mentioned above.
- Practicing questions of varied difficulty level will further boost your performance. Time management and question-choice are major points which the candidate preparing for TISS-NET should keep in mind.
- Develop a test taking approach by practicing mock tests. These tests will help you to build up the necessary test taking skills like time management, prioritization and striking the right balance between accuracy and speed.
Must Read TISS-NET Articles