Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai popularly known as TISS offers a range of Masters' programs at various campuses. M.A in Human Resource Management & Labor Relations is of prime interest to management aspirants. TISS has its own National Entrance Test i.e. TISSNET. It will be held in the first week of January, 2021 for the academic year 2021-23 from 2:00 pm to 3:40 pm. The selection process (2021-23) comprises of 3 steps:
- National Entrance Test (computer based exam)
- Pre- Interview Test/ GD
- Personal Interview for all programs
The paper can be split into three parts: concept driven, practice intensive and environment sensitive.
- Mathematics & select areas of English Language Proficiency are concept driven and it is suggested that you brush up your fundamentals in these areas to develop the required competence.
- Logical Reasoning and select areas of English Language Proficiency are practice intensive and it is recommended that you practice across a good number of similar questions to build desired comfort levels.
- The General Awareness section is environment sensitive and demands you to prepare both current and static components of awareness. Following is a section wise preparation strategy with specific mention of thrust areas in each section:-
This section poses a challenge to the test taker on account of its vastness; just about every event seems to qualify from a test perspective. However, understanding the priority areas in the past could help to develop a more convergent approach. The thrust areas are:-
- Current Events
- Significant Political Events or Political Information
- Geography and General Geology
- Sociological Awareness
- Economic Processes
- World known Personalities
- Fine Arts & Music (World wide)
- Films across the World that have been subjects of debates, including actors who have made significant contribution
Mathematics & Logical Reasoning
Conventional preparation of this section demands comfort levels in the modules of Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry and Modern Maths. However, the following areas have received more importance in the past years:-
- Basic Geometry
- Basic Set Concepts
- Time, Speed & Distance
- Ratio & Proportion
- Basic Algebra
- Simultaneous Equations
- Number Theory
- Logical Reasoning with reference to the following types of questions:-
- Identifying patterns in number sets
- Determining validity of conclusions based on given premises
The thrust areas in this section are:
- Word Analogies
- Vocabulary, with questions on appropriate pairing of words and antonyms
- Rearranging sentences
- Reading Comprehension
Overall, it would help you to follow a three-pronged approach:-
- Strengthen concepts in areas, which are concept sensitive, as mentioned above. This can be best done by referring to class tenth NCERT books. You may even refer to the concept builder modules given in the Bulls Eye preparation material.
- Cement the concepts by building a strong application orientation by practicing across similar questions. This can be done by referring to question banks on various topics, particularly the ones mentioned in the thrust areas above.
- Develop a test taking approach by practicing across mock tests. These tests will help you to build up the necessary test taking skills like time management, prioritization and striking the right balance between accuracy and speed.
Must Read TISS-NET Articles