If you are aiming for CAT 2022, you must check the eligibility requirements of the exam. This article sheds light on the details of CAT eligibility criteria and related requirements.
The computer-based test CAT (Common Admission Test) is conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management. It is held in the month of November every year. Registrations for CAT 2022 will likely commence from August, 2022.
It is important to note that in 2021, the CAT committee introduced certain exceptions due to the pandemic scenario. The same may be followed for CAT 2022 as well.
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2022
Owing to recent changes caused by pandemic, the criteria for appearing in CAT has become less rigorous than before. The rules and guidelines for CAT eligibility can be understood in the given respects:
Every year, students from different educational backgrounds apply for CAT. Since the final year students did not have to take their examinations for graduate degree, the CAT committee overhauled the complete set of requirements as follows:
1. Candidates who have secured “promotion/pass” and not “award of marks” certificates in the last two years of their bachelor’s program, can fill “Promotion or Pass” in the CAT application. This applies irrespective of the minimum percentage criteria (50% for Gen. and 45% for reserved categories [or equivalent CGPA] ).
This provision in CAT eligibility also applies to the final year students with “award” of marks.
The above-stated exceptions are only for the candidates who complete their bachelor’s degree in year 2021 and 2022.
2. Due to the implementation of the above condition, and considering the different evaluation systems followed by different
institutes, the CAT Committee has removed the minimum percentage criteria (45% and 50% [or equivalent CGPA] for Gen. and reserved categories respectively) from CAT eligibility norms.
3. A candidate's bachelor degree must have validation from any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
There are no age restrictions for CAT. So, you can take the exam at any age.
CAT eligibility criteria does not specify any necessary work experience. So, both the freshers and experienced candidates can take the exam. However, some of the B-schools do consider work experience during admission.
Number of Attempts
You can appear for CAT any number of times in a lifetime.
Did you Know: From 2011, the IITs and IISc started accepting CAT scores for MBA/M.Mgt., instead of JMET (Joint Management Entrance Test).
Note: IIMs do not shortlist the applicants who are incapable of fulfilling the above-stated criteria.
The participating institutes verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process. (The details of verification process are provided on the official IIM website
What is the difference between CAT and IIM eligibility criteria?
CAT eligibility criteria have not seen many changes over the years. However, a few changes were introduced in 2014, which led to clashes between CAT exam eligibility criteria and IIMs Admission criteria.
Applicants are allowed to appear in CAT 2022 exam with two years of graduation in the old system, but they are not allowed to pursue the management course at IIM unless they have completed a graduation degree with a minimum of three years duration. Besides, factors like work experience, extracurriculars, academic profile, and your performance in the selection process do impact your admission in IIMs. While work experience is a mandatory requirement for some MBA programs in IIMs as well as some other institutes, it is not needed for taking the CAT exam. Except for this, the eligibility for CAT & IIM admissions remains the same.
Who is not eligible for CAT 2022?
As defined by IIMs, the following conditions can make you ineligible for CAT 2022:
- If you have neither completed any bachelor’s degree nor pursuing one.
- If you have completed any professional degree, but not bachelors.
- if your Bachelor’s degree is not recognized by AICTE/UGC/MHRD-Govt. of India.
What is the Reservation Criteria in IIMs?
IIMs follow the given reservation format:
||Reserved Seats (In Percentage)
|Schedule Cast (SC)
|Schedule Tribe (ST)
|Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)
|PWD(Persons with Disability)
Over the years, the eligibility for CAT has more or less remained the same since 2014. For more information, check the official CAT website.
Lastly, you must remember that eligibility in CAT is not a guarantee of admission in any of the prestigious B-schools. Your final admission is based on a wide range of parameters such as your profile, CAT score, performance in admission rounds (GD/WAT/PI), etc. However, you need to be familiar with the above information in order to provide the relevant details in your CAT 2022 application form
. In case of any deviations, your application is liable to be cancelled by the authorities without notice.