CAT (Common Admission Test) is a computer-based selection test conducted by IIMs as a prerequisite for entry into their MBA programs. It is held every year by IIMs on a rotational basis. 100+ top B-schools of the country accept the score. IIMs offer 4000+ seats for admission into their management programs. CAT Registration
begun on first week of Aug 2019, for the exam in November.
Graduates from various streams aspire to pursue MBA from top management schools. Before applying for CAT 2019, go through the detailed eligibility criteria for the exam:
1. A candidate is eligible to appear in CAT 2019 if he/she holds a Bachelor's Degree with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA.
The candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA) categories, need at least 45% marks.
2. The degree must have been awarded by any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
3. Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor's degree or equivalent examination and those who have already completed degree examinations but are awaiting results are also eligible. Such candidates, if qualified, will be allowed to join the course conditionally, only if they produce a certificate from the Principal / Registrar of their University/institution.
The candidate needs to submit the certificate by June 30, 2019 (issued on or before June 30, 2019) stating that the candidate has fulfilled all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor's degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.
4. The percentage of marks will be calculated based on the calculation pattern followed by the concerned University/Institution.
In case of CGPA or grades, the conversion is based on the process defined by the concerned university or institution. If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting grades/CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate's CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
NB: IIMs will not shortlist applicants incapable of fulfilling the eligibility criteria.
IIMs may verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process. (The details of verification process are provided on the official IIM website
Some more eligibility facts for CAT 2019:
- You can appear for CAT even if you have done graduation in the old system of graduation, provided that UGC recognises the degree.
- Mere fulfilment of minimum CAT eligibility criteria will not ensure shortlisting by IIMs.
- The candidates must declare and maintain a valid and unique email account and a phone number throughout the selection process.
- There is no age bar to appear for CAT exam.
What is the difference between CAT and IIM eligibility criteria?
The only difference is:
You are allowed to appear in CAT 2019 exam with two years of graduation in the old system, but you are not allowed to pursue the management course at IIM unless you have completed graduation degree with minimum three years duration. Except this, the eligibility for CAT & IIM admissions remains the same.
Over the years, the eligibility for CAT has more or less remained same since 2014. Visit www.iimcat.ac.in for more information on CAT 2019.