CAT is the most popular MBA entrance exam, conducted to provide admissions in more than 100 top B-schools across India. The exam is held by IIMs every year in the month of November/December. Based on CAT scores, IIMs offer more than 4,000 seats in various management programs.
Approximately 3 lakh candidates applied for the CAT exam last year, out of which almost 2 lakh appeared for the exam. This year, CAT is scheduled to be conducted on 25th November and the detailed notification will be available from July/August.
CAT application is to be submitted in online mode only. Generally, CAT application form is to be filled in three simple steps-:
- Registration (Creating a Profile)
- Logging in to CAT Website (with system generated user ID and password)
- Submitting the CAT Application Form (Enter the details and make online payment)
Before filling the online form, here are some essential points to keep in mind:
- CAT 2018 registration will be open for almost 45 days from the start date of registration.
- While filling the online form for CAT 2018, you will need to select the relevant management programmes in all the 20 IIMs.
- You are required to carefully read the instructions that appear at the start of the CAT application before filling the form.
- Your candidature will be treated as invalid if you fill any incorrect information in the application. Additionally, the CAT registration fee will be forfeited.
- You can save and exit the registration form any number of times to edit and complete it later till you finally submit the application.
- Fee can be paid only after completing the online registration and application form.
- Your application form will remain incomplete and you will not be allowed to appear in CAT 2018 exam, if you do not pay the requisite exam fee.
- CAT registration fee for General category is Rs.1900/- and for reserved category, it is Rs.950/-.
Apart from the above stated things, you need some documents to complete your application form. Following is the list of documents you will require while filling your CAT application:
- Marksheets of class 10th, 12th, bachelor’s degree/diploma and higher education, if any.
- Work experience certificate, if applicable.
- Scanned images of your passport size photo and signature. (The photo should not be more than six months old and should have a white background).
- Scanned image of passport size photo should have dimensions: 35mm X 45mm and the scanned image of signature should be of dimensions: 1000mm X 35 mm. Both the files should be in .jpg or .jpeg format and the file size should not be more than 80KB each. The image needs to be clear with a minimum resolution of 150px.
- Applicable Certificates required to be uploaded.
- Fee payment instruments to pay CAT exam fee – Debit/Credit cards, Net banking, etc.
Finally, it is recommended that you make a list of the IIM programmes to which you wish to apply.
The detailed CAT registration and application process is discussed as follows:
Step 1 – CAT Registration 2018
- Go to the official website (https://iimcat.ac.in) and click on ‘Register Now’. This will generate your login credentials.
- Enter the required details (Name, Date of Birth, Email Address, Mobile Number) in the fields provided. Ensure that you have entered correct details, especially the contact details so that you do not face any problem in receiving information regarding the test. Go through the following instructions while filling up the fields in CAT registration/application form:
- Name - The name should be same as mentioned in your 10th Standard or SSC Certificate. If there is a change of name due to marriage or any other reason, you will need to submit a valid document (court affidavit/marriage certificate) to support the same.
- Date of birth – Be careful in using the virtual calendar to enter your date of birth.
- Email address – The email id must be a valid one. The CAT ID/username will be sent to this email address. For overseas candidates, both Username and Password will be sent via email.
- Mobile number – The mobile number should be a valid one as the password will be sent via SMS at this number. The number should be India based and of 10 digits. Other mobile numbers should be prefixed with the area code.
- After filling the details, enter the captcha displayed on the screen to verify and authenticate your CAT registration.
- You will receive the CAT 2018 login credentials through Email and SMS. The CAT Serial Number/User ID will be sent to the email address provided by you and the password will be sent via SMS to your registered mobile number.
- Select the ‘I Agree’ checkbox to ensure the submission of your CAT registration form.
Step 2 - Login to CAT Website
The next step is to login to the official website using the system generated User ID & Password and fill your CAT application form. In case you forget the password, click on ‘Forgot Password’ tab on the ‘Existing User’ login window and a new password will be sent to your registered email id.
Keep the following instructions in mind before filling the detailed application form:
- All the ‘*’ marked fields are mandatory to fill.
- You need to fill all the required information and upload scanned copies of the requisite documents.
- Before proceeding to the every next section, click on ‘Save & Continue’.
- Use the mouse to move to the next field instead of using the ‘Tab’ key.
- You may complete the application process in multiple sessions by logging in the next session. But make sure that you have properly saved the application form fields before logging out in the previous sessions.
- After the payment of application fee, you will not be allowed to make any changes in the information or documents submitted.
Step 3 – Fill and submit CAT Application Form 2018
After logging in, you can start filling the CAT application form. Generally, the form is divided into five sections:
- Personal Details:
It includes: Name, father’s/husband’s/guardian’s name, mother’s name, date of birth, candidate’s gender, category, communication address, mobile number and email address.
The candidate belonging to SC/ST/OBC category needs to provide details like the serial number of caste/tribe, State/UT of caste/tribe and caste/tribe name. If the candidate is a PWD category, he/ she needs to select the ‘Yes’ option and provide details like PWD category and disability percentage.
Further, you will have to upload a scanned copy of the following documents:
- Passport size photograph and signature
- Category proof document, if applicable
- PWD/DA certificate, if applicable
Here, you are required to enter your past academic records of: SSC/10th standard/equivalent details, HSC/12th standard/equivalent details, bachelor’s degree details, master’s degree details and other professional degree details
- Work Experience:
In case of full time work experience, you will need to provide the following details: industry type and work experience (in months).
Only full time work experience after the graduation will be considered. Part time/ project/ internship/ pre-graduation work experience should not be entered and will not be considered as work experience.
In this section, you will have to select the programmes you wish to apply for. You can choose any number of programmes. For each selected programme, you will have to select an interview city.
Further, you will have to select any four test cities from the drop down menu. After the last date of registration, you will be allotted one among the four preferred cities and either of the two selected sessions.
You can pay the application fee through Credit/Debit Card/Net Banking after confirming the details filled in the form. After the successful payment transaction, you will be redirected to the Application Summary with your payment transaction number.
Also, you will receive an application confirmation email at your registered email id. The email contains information about communication and CAT admit card details. You can only appear in the allotted time slot.
Don’t forget to carry an original Photo ID proof, along with your admit cards to the exam venue.