Basics of CAT Verbal Ability:
Verbal Ability is one of the difficult sections in the CAT exam and is often undermined by most of the CAT applicants. Few realize that it's important to do well in this section for a call from the prestigious IIMs and other reputed MBA colleges.
- You need to have a strong foundation in core concepts of Grammar and Reading
- You must have a good knowledge of current affairs and other GK related topics.
- You can log on to the E-library section for useful recommendations and suggestions with respect to the books you should be reading. The section outlines the list of books course-wise that you should take up for reading.
- You should regularly read newspapers, articles/editorials of The Hindu, magazines like Reader’s Digest and online blogs of proficient writers like Ramchandra Guha etc.
CAT Verbal Ability: Syllabus
- CAT Verbal Ability questions are from the following key topics:
- Reading Comprehensions(RCs)
- Verbal Reasoning
- Critical Reasoning
- Misfit Sentence/Error Corrections
- Summary Writing
The Right Strategy and Approach for CAT Verbal Ability Preparation:
Here we will analyze the individual constituents of the CAT Verbal Ability section:
- Reading Comprehensions:
Reading Comprehensions form the most important segment of the CAT Verbal Ability section.
- RC passages are based on a variety of topics. So, here diverse reading comes to your rescue. You are likely to score well if you are well-versed with a wide spectrum of topics.
- Passages from areas such as philosophy and sociology require you to have good comprehension skills while the passages from business/economics require you to be familiar with the basic terminology of these areas. So, read articles from as many areas as possible.
- The second important aspect for RCs is practice. The two best resources for practicing CAT level RCs are : previous year papers and Mock CAT RCs. These offer you the highest quality and most appropriate material for preparation. Make sure that you regularly practice RCs. The more you practise, the better will be your speed and accuracy in RCs.
- Practicing RCs also improves your grammar and vocabulary, thereby helping you in other areas as well.
Remember, this is the only question type that is sure to come in CAT Verbal Ability section.
These are the type of questions in the CAT exam that can cause confusion in the mind of students.
- To score fairly well in such questions, you need to be well acquainted with the basics of English Grammar. You can consult any good book on Basic English grammar (like High School Grammar and Composition by Wren & Martin) to polish your basic grammar skills.
- Studying the basics can help you solve questions with greater accuracy and better speed.
- It is highly recommended that you go through the previous year CAT verbal ability questions. This is one of the most scoring part of CAT Verbal Ability section.
- Verbal Reasoning:
In the last two years, the key topics that have appeared in verbal reasoning for CAT are Para-jumbles, Misfit sentences, Summary Writing and Critical Reasoning. Previously, Para-completion questions also made a regular appearance in the exam.
- It is crucial that you practice questions from this area regularly.
- Your performance in this area depends upon your reading skills along with your ability to make logical inferences.
- Majority of these topics do not have any hard and fast rules but have a simple series of instructions that you need to follow in order to solve these questions.
Many a times, the difference in 94 and 96 percentile is due to that one word meaning that hindered your understanding of the given text. Therefore, it is essential that you build up your word power.
- Strengthen your vocabulary by learning new words daily. We provide a power-packed section for enhancing vocabulary skills: Vocab Builder. The purpose of various word lists provided in this section is to enrich your vocabulary and help you perform well in the verbal section in your CAT exam.
- Even though, there have been no direct questions based on vocabulary in CAT for the last three years, but vocabulary plays a vital role in enhancing your efficiency in all the areas dicusssed above. It expands your ability to understand complex reading material.
After covering all these areas for your CAT preparation, it is necessary that you test yourself with some mock questions to evaluate your CAT Verbal Ability preparation. You can find tests online or opt for test series with us. They will test your preparation in real time and help you to work on your weak sections. You can practice various question types for your CAT verbal ability- word meanings, synonyms, antonyms and many other categories. Consistent solving of mock tests and old papers can give your preparation a great boost, if done honestly and with dedication.
Last but not the least, the most important step to do well in your CAT verbal ability is to practice a lot of reading comprehensions.