Students preparing for CAT should go through the latest changes in the CAT Exam pattern. Without wasting a single minute hasten your preparation by going through the latest CAT 2021 exam information. CAT is known to be an unpredictable paper and the CAT exam pattern is changed almost every year to surprise the students. Remaining true to their unpredictable nature, CAT examiners have introduced several structural changes in CAT 2021 test pattern.
A major change in CAT 2020 was that CAT exam was conducted in three sessions to accommodate with social distancing norms due to COVID. However, for CAT 2021, information about exam sessions will be notified.
Another significant change is that the duration of each section of CAT 2021 exam has been reduced to 40 minutes.
Hurry! Read the following article to know more about the latest CAT 2021 changes.
CAT Exam 2021: Revised Pattern
For 2021, IIMs on a rotational basis will conduct CAT 2021 as a Computer-based test. All of the sections have been allotted 40 minutes each. The computer-based test will be conducted in three slots as per CAT 2020 (changes will be notified). For IIM short listing, the candidate must score high in each of the section to get through the sectional score cut-off.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern
Given below is the CAT 2021 Exam Pattern as per the revised changes in CAT 2020.
|Total No. of Sections
||Three- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Quantitative Ability (QA)
||2 Hours/120 Minutes
|Mode of Conduct
|Total No. of Questions
|Duration of each section of CAT 2020
|Expected Marking Scheme
||-1 for each wrong answer
+3 for every correct answer
- Some questions in each section may not be of multiple choice type. Instead, direct answers are to be typed on the screen.
- A basic on-screen calculator will be allowed for computation.
- Candidates will be allotted exactly 40 minutes for answering questions in each section and they cannot switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section.
However, these changes, although important, should not be difficult to adjust to. The basics of preparation for CAT continue to remain the same. Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practice, time management, and accuracy are still critical for belling the CAT! Are you ready?
Note: Students should visit the CAT official website to go through the mock tests/ tutorials and understand the new exam pattern. These mock tutorials will be uploaded in the month of October.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern: Key Features
- CAT 2021 Exam will be scheduled in November 2021.
- CAT 2021 will be a Computer-based Exam and not an online one. It is also timed for 2 hours.
- The order of section is fixed, starting with VARC.
- The CAT exam will have three sections.
- The CAT 2020 exam was held in three slots and the timings are Slot 1 (8.30 am to 10.30 am), Slot 2 (12.30 pm to 2.30 pm) and Slot 3 (4.30 pm to 6.30 pm), for CAT 2021, students will be notified about the changes in exam window.
- IIM will also release a tutorial for the aspirants to understand CAT 2021 computer-based test and question pattern. The tutorial will be available on their official
website in October 2021.
- However, the CAT exam will be held in 156 cities across the country.
- In addition, you can practice CAT Mock Tests, CAT Sample Papers, and CAT Previous Year Question Papers curated by our experts at Hitbullseye.
CAT 2021: Computer-based Test
CAT 2021 is not an online test but Computer-based exam. The candidate will not give the exam on an internet website but on computer terminal where the questions will be displayed and the candidate has to choose the answers by clicking on the right one. IIM’s elaborate that this new exam pattern will display a timer on the computer screen that keeps reminding about the remaining time to complete different sections.
CAT Exam Pattern of Previous Years
Previous years CAT Exam Pattern for your reference:
|CAT 2020 Exam Pattern
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
MCQ - 22
TITA - 4
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
MCQ - 19
TITA - 5
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
MCQ - 18
TITA - 8
|Total No. of Questions
Hope the CAT 2021 exam pattern is clear and for more information, you can go through the CAT official website.