Students preparing for CAT should go through the latest changes in the CAT Exam pattern. Without wasting a single minute hasten your preparation by going through the LATEST CAT 2020 exam information. CAT is known to be an unpredictable paper and the CAT exam pattern is changed almost every year to surprise the students. Remaining true to their unpredictable nature, CAT examiners have introduced several structural changes in CAT2020 test pattern.
A major change in CAT 2020 is that CAT exam will be conducted in three sessions to accommodate with social distancing norms.
Another significant change is that the duration of each section of CAT 2020 exam has been reduced to 40 minutes.
Hurry! Read the following article to know more about the latest CAT 2020 changes.
CAT Exam 2020: Revised Pattern
For 2020, IIM Indore will conduct CAT 2020 as a Computer-based test. All of the sections have been allotted 40 minutes each. The computer-based test will be conducted in three slots. For IIM short listing, the candidate must score high in each of the section to get through the sectional score cut-off.
CAT 2020 Exam Pattern
Given below is the CAT 2020 Revised Exam Pattern
|Total No. of Sections
||Three- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Quantitative Ability (QA)
||2 Hours/120 Minutes
|Mode of Conduct
|Total No. of Questions
|Duration of each section of CAT 2020
|Expected Marking Scheme
||-1 for each wrong answer
+3 for every correct answer
- Some questions in each section may not be of multiple choice type. Instead, direct answers are to be typed on the screen.
- A basic on-screen calculator will be allowed for computation.
- Candidates will be allotted exactly 40 minutes for answering questions in each section and they cannot switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section.
However, these changes, although important, should not be difficult to adjust to. The basics of preparation for CAT continue to remain the same. Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practice, time management, and accuracy are still critical for belling the CAT! Are you ready?
Note: Students should visit the CAT official website to go through the mock tests/ tutorials and understand the new exam pattern. These mock tutorials will be uploaded in the month of October.
CAT 2020 Exam Pattern: Key Features
- CAT 2020 Exam is scheduled on November 29, 2020.
- CAT 2020 will be a Computer-based Exam and not an online one. It is also timed for 2 hours.
- The order of section is fixed, starting with VARC.
- The CAT exam will have three sections.
- The CAT exam will be held in three slots and the timings are Slot 1 (8.30 am to 10.30 am), Slot 2 (12.30 pm to 2.30 pm) and Slot 3 (4.30 pm to 6.30 pm)
- IIM will also release a tutorial for the aspirants to understand CAT 2020 computer-based test and question pattern. The tutorial will be available on their official website on October 23, 2020.
- However, the CAT exam will be held in 156 cities across the country.
- In addition, you can practice CAT 2020 Mock Tests, CAT 2020 Sample Papers, and CAT Previous Year Question Papers curated by our experts at Hitbullseye.
CAT 2020: Computer-based Test
CAT 2020 is not an online test but Computer-based exam. The candidate will not give the exam on an internet website but on computer terminal where the questions will be displayed and the candidate has to choose the answers by clicking on the right one. IIM’s elaborate that this new exam pattern will display a timer on the computer screen that keeps reminding about the remaining time to complete different sections.
CAT Exam Pattern of Previous Years
Previous years CAT Exam Pattern for your reference:
|CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
VA - 10
RC - 24
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
LR - 24
DI - 8
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
|Total No. of Questions
Important Facts about CAT 2020
As CAT 2020 is a Computer-based Test, so there are a few facts that a candidate must keep in mind:
- It is advised that while appearing for the exam, candidates cannot leave their seats.
- For the Non-MCQs, you will be providing with space to fill in your answers.
- Candidates must be thorough with guidelines, which will be uploaded on the official website.
- Workflow for candidates appearing for Slot-1, Slot 2 and Slot 3 will be uploaded on the official CAT website before the exam.
- No candidate is allowed to wear jewellery, watch, or mobile phones while appearing for the exam. You must go through the CAT Guidelines for CAT exam 2020 on the official website to be thorough with the Do’s and Don’ts.
Hope the CAT 2020 exam pattern is clear and for more information, you can go through the CAT official website.