As a popular management educator once said, "Knowledge has power. It controls access to opportunity and advancement."
So, if you have decided to take the CAT exam, you must be fully aware of its pattern, structure and marking scheme. This article is dedicated to giving you the complete details about CAT exam pattern 2022.
CAT is held annually for admissions in IIMs and other elite B-Schools in India. It attracts graduates from all streams seeking admissions to the best management institutions. Every year, lacs of students strive hard to get admission in top-notch institutions and make a rewarding career in the corporate world with high-pay packages.
One of the most popular MBA entrance tests, CAT is known for its unpredictable nature and undergoes modifications in its exam pattern almost every year. In 2020, CAT exam witnessed certain pattern changes and was conducted in three sessions to accommodate the social distancing norms enforced due to COVID. A few more changes were introduced in 2021 and 2022 as well.
CAT Exam Pattern 2022: Overview
For 2022, one of the IIMs will conduct CAT in a computer-based mode. It will be held in three slots as last year (the exact changes is notified on the official website). For IIM shortlisting, the candidate must score high in each of the sections to clear the sectional score cut-offs.
The given table shows the tentative details of CAT 2022 Exam Pattern, as per the changes made in 2021:
||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Ability (QA)
|Mode of Conduct
|Total No. of Questions
|Type of Questions
||MCQs & Non-MCQs
|Duration of each section of CAT
|Expected Marking Scheme
||-1 for each wrong answer
+3 for every correct answer
Did you know: In 2009, IIM Ahmedabad conducted the first computer-based CAT, but several technical glitches were faced during the test, and so, a re-test was done in January 2010.
CAT Exam Pattern 2022: Key Features & Latest Changes
- CAT 2022 Exam is scheduled for November 2022.
- There is no negative marking for Non-MCQs.
- The order of the sections is fixed, starting with VARC. Candidates cannot switch between sections.
- The CAT 2021 exam was held in three slots and the timings are Slot 1 (8.30 am to 10.30 am), Slot 2 (12.30 pm to 2.30 pm) and Slot 3 (4.30 pm to 6.30 pm), for CAT 2022, students will be notified about the changes in exam window.
- Previously the total number of questions in CAT were 100 and the total marks was 300. But in 2020, the number of questions was reduced to 76 and total marks to 228. In 2021, the number of questions was further reduced to 66.
- There is an onscreen calculator provided during the exam.
- IIM will also release a tutorial for the aspirants to understand CAT 2022 computer-based test and question pattern. The tutorial will be available on their official website in October 2022.
- CAT 2022 exam will be held in 150+ cities across the country.
NOTE: Remember that CAT 2022 is not an online test but a Computer-based exam. The candidate will not give the exam on an internet website but on a computer terminal where the questions will be displayed and the candidate has to choose the answers by clicking on the right one. IIM’s elaborate that this new exam pattern will display a timer on the computer screen that keeps reminding about the remaining time to complete different sections.
The above-given pattern follows from CAT 2021. Students are advised to visit the official CAT website (iimcat.ac.in
) to check the latest exam pattern and go through the mock tutorials. The official exam pattern for CAT 2022 will be released soon. These mock tutorials will be uploaded in the month of October.
CAT Exam Pattern of Previous Years
Below is a detailed breakup of CAT exam pattern 2021 for your reference:
|CAT Exam Pattern 2021
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
MCQ - 19
TITA - 5
Marks - 72
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
MCQ - 15
TITA - 5
Marks - 60
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
MCQ - 15
TITA - 7
Marks - 66
Now that you are fully aware of CAT exam pattern 2022, you can move on to preparing a strategy to ace each section. Although the latest changes are important, they are not really difficult to adapt to. The basics of preparation for CAT continue to remain the same. Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practice, time management, and accuracy always prove instrumental for belling the CAT!