What is CMAT?
Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) is a national-level entrance test conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA). Till 2018, it was conducted by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) as per the directions of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. CMAT is held in over 100 cities across India. Around 60,000 aspirants take the CMAT exam every year to fulfil their MBA dream.
CMAT scores are accepted by all AICTE- Approved /Affiliated institutes. More than 1000 institutes in India provide admission on the basis of CMAT. The exam is comparatively less difficult than the entrance tests like CAT, XAT, and a few others. Owing to its scope and level, more and more MBA aspirants are opting for CMAT every year.
When is CMAT conducted?
Generally, CMAT is held in the month of March/ April. During registration, candidates have to choose four test cities of the given options. The CMAT application process has to be completed online, and the admit cards are available on the official website a few weeks before the exam date.
For more details, you can check out the official website- cmat.nta.nic.in
What is the structure of CMAT?
CMAT is a computer-based test of three hours. It consists of objective questions spread across five sections. Each section carries equal weightage in the exam. However, there are no individual time limits for different sections. CMAT is essentially a blend of easy and moderate-level questions devised to evaluate the general aptitude of MBA aspirants. The given table shows the complete exam format of CMAT:
CMAT Exam Pattern 2024
No. of Questions
Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
Innovation & Entrepreneurship
As seen above, the sectional areas of CMAT are quite similar to those of other MBA tests. However, there are certain differences in terms of the marking scheme and exam structure. Listed below are the prominent features of CMAT 2024 Exam pattern:
- Each question carries 4 marks
- There is a negative marking of 1 mark for each wrong answer.
- Candidates can choose to attempt the sections and questions in any order.
Syllabus for CMAT 2024
There is no defined syllabus for CMAT exam. However, we have enlisted the important topics for each section, as per the pattern followed in the previous years' papers.
- Language Comprehension: This section of CMAT corresponds to Verbal Ability of most other MBA entrance tests. It includes Reading Comprehension passages and grammar-based questions. Here, the main topics of grammar are: usage of Articles, Non-finites, Dangling Modifiers, Nouns, Pronouns (Especially relative Pronouns), Adjectives, Adverbs, Prepositions –Regular and Followed, Verbs, Syntax, Subject-verb Agreement, Simple, Continuous, Perfect tenses and Conditional-unreal past.
- Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation:This section involves the fundamental topics of mathematics and data-based questions. The questions in this section are mainly from Ratios, Mixtures, Time and Work, Averages, Profit & Loss, Number system and its properties, Probability and counting principles, geometry and derivatives (i.e. maxima –minima). In the case of DI part, questions feature in form of sets based on tables, pie charts, line graphs etc. Each DI set is accompanied by 3-5 questions.
- Logical Reasoning: This section evaluates your reasoning and logical thinking skills. LR section comprises questions based on Seating Arrangement, Coding-Decoding, Syllogisms, Puzzles, Statement-Conclusion etc.
- General Awareness: This section consists of questions from static and current GK. Static GK questions are drawn from science, history, geography, polity, economy and environment. On the other hand, current GK questions are based on the latest events of the national and international arena.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: This section was introduced in CMAT with a view to encourage creativity and test the decision-making skills of the candidates. It includes questions on the basics of start-ups, the latest mergers & acquisitions, and related governmental initiatives.
Who can appear in CMAT?
Candidates need to fulfil certain basic requirements in order to be eligible for CMAT 2024. So, make sure that you meet the following conditions before applying for the exam:
- Any Indian citizen with a Bachelor’s Degree can apply for the exam. They must have completed three-year graduation in any discipline.
- Students appearing for the final year of their Bachelor’s Degree, are also eligible, provided their results are expected before the start of admission for academic session 2024-25.
It is important to note that the exact eligibility criteria may differ as per the specific MBA/PGDM programmes or different B-schools. For more details, you may visit the official websites of the respective B-schools.
Which Institutes accept CMAT scores?
All colleges that are recognized by AICTE at the National and State-level accept the CMAT score. Other than government colleges, there are also prestigious private institutions that accept the CMAT score. The top colleges that accept CMAT scores are listed below:
- JBIMS Mumbai: Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies
- SIMSREE Mumbai: Sydenham Institute of Management Studies And Research And Entrepreneurship Education
- KJSIMSR, Mumbai: K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research
- IMT, Ghaziabad: Institute of Management Technology
- BIMTECH, Noida: Birla Institute of Management Technology
- Great Lakes Chennai: Great Lakes Institute of Management - GLIM
- SIMSR Mumbai: K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies And Research
- IFMR Chennai: Institute For Financial Management & Research
- GIM Goa: Goa Institute of Management
- WeSchool, Mumbai: Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research
- Amity University, Noida
- NDIM New Delhi: New Delhi Institute of Management
- JBS Noida: Jaypee Business School
- IIMS Pune: International Institute of Management Studies
- XIME, Bangalore: Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship
- XISS, Ranchi: Xavier Institute of Social Service
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Kolkata
- VIT Business School, Vellore
- Institute of Rural Management, Jaipur
- YMCA University of Science and Technology, Faridabad
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur
Admission Process of CMAT-accepting Institutes
Post the results, the institutes shortlist the candidates as per the cut-offs set for different programmes. Accordingly, they prepare the merit lists, and the candidates are called for the subsequent admission process. The next selection rounds generally include Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT), and Personal Interview (PI). The final merit list at the B-schools is based on candidates’ profiles, CMAT scores, and performance in the remaining selection rounds.
Also, some institutes utilise other types of group exercises as a part of their selection process. Besides, variable weightage is allotted to different components of the entire screening procedure.
ROI of Programmes offered by CMAT-accepting Institutes
MBA counts among the most expensive courses across India. So, if you are willing to invest time and resources in pursuing an MBA degree/PGDM, make sure to choose the right institute. ROI of an MBA programme is determined by the scope and reputation of the institute. It is crucial that you examine the past placement records and estimate the future prospects of a particular course, before enrolling in it. For your knowledge, we have listed down the placement statistics of the top CMAT-accepting institutes:
- For MMS 2022 batch of SIMSREE, the highest salary stood at INR 23.50 LPA whereas the average salary stood at INR 13.33 LPA. The recruiters came from a variety of sectors like Consulting, IT, Telecom, Automobile, BFSI, FMCG/FMCD, Infrastructure, Pharma, Retail, etc. Some of the prominent recruiters included Barclays, Capgemini, Crisil, JP Morgan Chase, TCS, etc.
- For MMS 2022 batch of JBIMS, the average salary has been increased by more than 20% as compared to the last year which stood at INR 27.63 LPA whereas the median CTC stood at INR 26.48 LPA and the Highest Salary stood at INR 42 LPA. Consulting companies played the dominating role during the placement drive. Major recruiters included Deloitte, EY, PwC, Accenture, Infosys, KPMG and many more.
- At IMT Ghaziabad, the highest package and average packages offered during IMT Ghaziabad placements 2022 were INR 60 LPA and INR 15.28 LPA, respectively. IMT Ghaziabad witnessed the participation of 45 new recruiters during IMT Ghaziabad placements for the 2020-22 batch. The top recruiters of the institute for the outgoing batch included leading companies such as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Microsoft and Google.
- Further, the highest and average package offered during KJ Somaiya Institute of Management MBA placements 2022 stood at INR 26.50 LPA and INR 10.97 LPA, respectively.
Overall, the top CMAT-accepting institutes are known for maintaining excellent placement records in a wide range of sectors. Besides, these institutes also provide a good scope for summer internships from reputed companies.
Preparation Tips for CMAT 2024
Once you are thorough with the CMAT exam pattern and syllabus, you must prepare a well-planned strategy to ace the exam. While the exam may be moderate in difficulty level, it does test your speed-solving ability and knowledge of the fundamental concepts. Generally, CMAT aspirants dedicate 3-6 months to focused preparation. Here are the top tips to keep in mind while preparing for CMAT 2024:
- Your preparation should ideally begin with a conceptual understanding of important topics, starting with the toughest ones. This includes the areas of quantitative techniques, DI, reasoning, and verbal ability.
- Remember that improving skills in any topic is a long-term process. This applies, especially in the case of vocabulary and reading proficiency. So, make it a habit to read newspapers, books, and good magazines on a daily basis. It will not only help you master the Language Comprehension section, but also keep you updated on General Awareness.
- Apart from RC passages, you will need to prepare for the grammar-related and reasoning questions. For this, you must get well-versed with the standard rules and conventions of the English language.
- For DI and Reasoning part, there are no fixed methods to solve the associated questions. Hence, you will need to practice a variety of question types to gain expertise in the section. In this regard, previous years' papers prove highly beneficial as they also let you know about the frequently asked questions.
- Similarly, you can get a good hold over mathematical formulae and tricks only when you put them into practice. So, it is always better to take chapter/topic-wise tests after studying each new concept.
- Further, sample papers and mock tests serve as excellent sources for evaluating your progress and preparation level. Once you are confident in your knowledge, you must develop a smart strategy to complete full-length CMAT mocks in the given time restraint. After each test, you must analyse and identify your weak and strong areas. Accordingly, you can modify your exam strategy as well as your preparation plan.
- Also, it is important to spend adequate time in each section while taking the test, since there are no sectional time limits in CMAT. Most B-schools consider your sectional performance during the admission process.
- Lastly, it is a great idea to have short and handy notes for last-minute revision of formulas and shortcut techniques.
FAQs Regarding CMAT
- What is CMAT exam for?
CMAT is utilised for admission to MBA/PGDM and other equivalent programmes offered by AICTE-affiliated institutes.
- Is CMAT easier than CAT?
Yes, CMAT is quite easier compared to CAT, both in terms of the level of questions as well as marking criteria.
- How many students give CMAT every year?
Nearly 50000-60000 people appear for CMAT every year.
- Can I prepare for CMAT without coaching?
Yes, you can prepare for CMAT with self-study, if you maintain a proper study schedule and follow it with total focus. In today's era, you can easily find variety of free online resources for CMAT preparation.
- What is the validity of CMAT score?
CMAT score is valid only for one year.
- What is a good score in CMAT?
The top B-schools set the CMAT cut-off between 95-99 percentile.This corresponds to 250-300 marks. So, you must target a score of 300 and above, in order to get into a good institute. Further, an attempt of 70+ questions with high accuracy will help you get the desired score.
- Are sectional cut-off scores considered in CMAT?
Generally, there are no sectional cut-offs for CMAT. However, some of the participating institutes may have a criterion for sectional cut-off scores. For more details on admission criteria, you may checkout the official websites of the desired institutes/programmes.
- How many times can I take CMAT?
There is no limit on the number of attempts for CMAT.
- Are there any age restrictions for CMAT?
There are no age limits for appearing in CMAT.
- What is the fee for CMAT application?
The application fee for CMAT is Rs. 2000 for male candidates and Rs. 1000 for female candidates.