Students who wish to pursue an MBA with operations as specialization should be aware that it covers both manufacturing and service industry. Large manufacturing companies require that an MBA (operations) graduate should have knowledge of two equally important domains, i.e. supply chain management and logistics. Organizations follow quality management standards so that dependability factor of their products and services increases. Another important reason is that it helps in defining and controlling the working processes in firms. On the one hand, companies work to increase profits; on the other hand, they have to meet environmental objectives. Therefore the requirement of MBA operations has increased in a firm.
According to Alford and Beatty, Quality Control is “In the broad sense, quality control is the mechanism by which products are made to measure up to specifications determined from customers, demands and transformed into sales engineering and manufacturing requirements, it is concerned with making things right rather than discovering and rejecting those made wrong.”
Why MBA in Operations?
Due to globalization, many multi-national companies run their operations from many different locations and have offices in different countries. Therefore, to manage these operations globally, companies' requirement for operation and supply chain managers has risen. This factor has contributed significantly to the fact that now students are inclined to make a career in this field. An MBA operations' one of the primary functions is to provide quality products and services to customers which in turn strengthens the reputation of an organization. An operations manager ensures that international quality standards (ISO 9000) are followed in the organization, which further helps in the smooth functioning of internal processes. Professional with MBA operations and supply management degree are deputed at the production department. These management graduates or trainees are responsible for activities like planning, execution, organizing and supervisory functions.
Scope of MBA in Operations:-
Organizations which follow quality management standards focus on reducing losses across all verticals, thereby increasing competitiveness. An MBA with operations as specialization has many important duties to execute. A series of standards and policies are formulated by qualified management personnel to establish quality in the functioning of the company. Companies have understood the importance of an MBA (Operations) professional as they help the companies to increase efficiency. Organizations benefit in many ways as these standards help in the prevention of pollution. Once these quality checks are in place, then there is a lesser requirement for audits. It helps in projecting a public image and promotes compliance with regulatory requirements to gain a competitive advantage.
Role of an MBA-Operations:-
A challenge which an MBA operations faces is convincing the higher authorities to adopt quality standards and methods of improvisation. In a manufacturing firm there are three pillars namely, supply chain management, logistics and distribution network which hold the key to success and increased profit margins. A qualified MBA operations personnel has to source raw-materials, execute materials management, do operations planning, distribution, logistics, demand forecasting etc. To remove loop holes in the supply chain management, improve inventory management, ensure high quality products and services are some of the major functions which an MBA (Operations) has to perform.
An MBA in Operations can take up the following job roles:-
- Supply Chain manager
- Logistics manager
- Project Manager
- Inventory control manager
- Operations Research Analyst
- Quality Assurance Manager
Some of the major objectives which a Manger – Operations aspires to achieve are listed below:-
- To check the quality of the raw materials.
- Implementing Quality Control and ensure quality of products and services.
- To enhance the efficiency levels of manufacturing processes.
- To decrease manufacturing and corporate costs and improve efficiency.
- To ensure timely delivery of products and availability for further distribution process.
- Assisting in the efficient functioning of production processes.
Best Colleges offering MBA Operations - programme:-
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmadabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pune
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Jamnalal Bajaj institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik.
List of major subjects in MBA Operations:-
1. Learn Six Sigma
2 Operations Strategy and Control
3. Advanced Supply Chain Management
4. Materials Management
5. International Logistics
6. Retail Distribution and Logistics
7. Procurement Management
8. Financial Statement Analysis
The above information caters to students who wish to pursue MBA in Operations and further explore employment opportunities.