XLRI Jamshedpur conducts the XAT every year in the first week of January on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI). One of the most difficult management entrance exams, XAT is known for its unique exam pattern and marking scheme. It is absolutely necessary for XAT 2022 aspirants to learn about the latest exam structure before starting their preparation.
In this article, we have given a detailed description of the XAT 2022 exam pattern along with the key takeaways for planning its preparation strategy.
XAT 2022: Exam Pattern
XAT is a computer-based test of three hours. It consists of four sections that are formulated to evaluate the management aptitude of the candidates. An MBA aspirant is expected to be good at making decisions, resolving conflicts, communicating ideas, and interpreting data in a timely manner. XAT is the primary criteria for seeking admission in several top-ranked B-schools. But it is not easy to achieve a high score unless you have a well-planned strategy beforehand. So, you must be fully familiar with the exam pattern of XAT 2022.
XAT exam is divided into two Parts where the only the first part is counted in the final score. The following table gives a clear picture of the XAT 2022 paper pattern:
|Number of Sections
||*Part 1: Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, Verbal & Logical Ability, Decision Making; Part 2: General Knowledge
|Mode of Exam
|Duration of the Test
|No. of Questions(100)
||Verbal & Logical Ability: 26 Questions
Decision Making: 21 Questions
Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation: 28 Questions
General Knowledge: 25 Questions
||1 mark is awarded for each correct answer.
0.10 marks are deducted after every 8 unattempted questions.
Negative marking for every incorrect response is 0.25 marks.
There is no negative marking in GK Section.
There is no sectional limits for Part 1 of XAT 2022. But the total time available for XAT Part 1 is 165 minutes whereas Part 2 needs to be answered in 15 minutes. Further, remember that your score in GK section impacts your MBA admission even though it is not considered in the overall XAT score
XAT Exam Pattern: Key Takeaways for Preparation
From the exam pattern of XAT 2022, we get certain important cues to devise a smart strategy accordingly. Here are our expert suggestions for the same:
- All the sections should be given equal importance as it will fetch you high sectional as well as overall score. This is because you are required to clear both the overall and Sectional cut-offs to get admission in best B-schools. Since the removal of Essay-writing section from XAT, the significance of other sections has increased greatly.
- As the exam's level of difficulty is high, you must decide the time limit for each section (of Part 1) well.
- A distinguishing feature of XAT is that it has a Decision-making section which tests a student’s aptitude for MBA through different management related problems. This section needs to be dealt very carefully since their answer choices are usually tricky.
- Regular practice of Mock Tests is essential for superior performance in all Sections.
- Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension are the main dominating areas in Verbal & Logical ability section. It is recommended that students work on building their vocabulary and grammar concepts to master these topics.
- Strong conceptual base in Geometry, Number System, Probability and DI with a good application orientation is the key to crack Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation section.
- It is crucial to stay updated with both current and static GK. Preparing current events for the past six months is essential, and a focus on awards, books and authors and geography will keep your hold on static GK.
- Striking a right balance between speed and accuracy is all that matters to score high in XAT.
Lastly, you must solve the previous year XAT papers
to get an accurate understanding of the exam pattern and difficulty level.