XLRI conducts the XAT every year in the first week of January on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes (XAMI). XAT is a common admission test for the 11 institutes under XAMI, and there are more than 100 other institutes that accept XAT score. Over the past many years, XAT has maintained a consistent approach of examining the students, but the last couple of years have seen some subtle changes. The introduction of the General Knowledge Section 2 years back and the changing number of questions in various sections startle the test takers.
It is essential to develop a concrete strategy and understand the paper pattern well to maximize your scores in XAT. The following table would give you a clear picture of the XAT 2019 paper pattern:
|Number of Sections||4|
|Sections||Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning, Decision Making, GK|
|Duration of the Test||Variable|
XAT 2019: 180 minutes (3 hrs.)
|Number of Questions(100 Questions)||Verbal & Logical Ability 26 Questions|
Decision Making 22 Questions
Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation 27 Questions
General Knowledge 25 Questions
|Marking Scheme||Students have a choice of not attempting 8 questions. Beyond this, any un-attempted question will carry the negative mark of 0.05. The negative marks for unattempted questions shall be deducted proportionately across the three sections.|
The major takeaways for the XAT preparation are:
- All the sections need equal importance as fetching maximum marks is the most important task and a gateway to move ahead. Clearing Sectional cut-off is mandatory.
- A proper tab on time is a must. The level of difficulty is high. So time management is an asset.
- Regular practice of Mock Tests is essential for superior performance in Verbal and Logical Ability Section.
- Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension are the main dominating areas in this section.
- Strong conceptual base in Geometry, Number System, Probability and DI with a good application orientation is the key to crack Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation section.
- Get yourself updated with both current and static GK. Preparing current events for the past six months is essential, and a focus on awards, books and authors and geography will ace your hold on static GK.
- Striking a right balance between speed and accuracy is all that matters to score in XAT.