CMAT stands for Common Management Admission Test. It is a national level entrance examination conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) every year to facilitate institutions to select suitable graduate candidates for admission in all Management programs offered by AICTE approved institutions. CMAT 2023 will probably be held in March/April 2023.
CMAT Preparation Strategy
The paper can be split into three parts: concept-driven, practice intensive and environment-sensitive. Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation and select areas of Language Comprehension are concept-driven. Questions on these areas are difficult to attempt without concept clarity and hence it is advised to brush up the key fundamentals in these areas. Logical Reasoning is a purely practice-intensive section and the comfort level here is directly proportional to practicing across similar questions. General Awareness is environment-sensitive and can be best prepared by a dichotomous approach, viewing the section as a makeup of current and static awareness.
From 2021, a new section has been added to CMAT, namely, ‘Innovation and Entrepreneurship’.
The most important strategy to crack CMAT is to practice a lot of Mock Tests and be aware of the latest GK and current affairs topics. If you plan to prepare for CMAT exam, then you have to atleast put in four to six hours daily into the preparation. To prepare for the test, the best strategy is to start with the toughest subject. If you can master the skill set for the toughest subject according to you, then it is a smooth ride for you. You will have to check with the CMAT syllabus and specific topics first in order to create your preparation strategy. Constant revision and series of tests can help you with a better understanding of the exam pattern and help you ace CMAT 2023.
Following is a section specific preparation strategy:-
CMAT Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation
The thrust areas in this section are: -
- Numbers, Percentage, Profit & Loss, Mixtures, Averages, Ratios, Interest, Equations
- Time & Work, Time, Speed & Distance
- Standard DI tools
CMAT General Awareness
The thrust areas in this section are:-
- Current Events & Happenings, including international affairs
- History, Geography, Polity, Science
- Sports, Art & Culture
- Books & Authors, Awards
CMAT Logical Reasoning
The thrust areas here are:-
- Assertion-Reasoning, Inferences, Critical reasoning
- Assumption-Premise-Conclusion, True and False Statements
- Linear arrangements, Sequences and series
- Strong - Weak arguments, Statements and assumptions
- Series, Coding and decoding, Cause and effect
- Symbol-based problems
CMAT Language Comprehension
The thrust areas here are:-
- Rearranging sentences
- Vocabulary, with questions on antonyms and synonyms
- Grammar & Sentence Correction
- Reading Comprehension
While preparing ensure a sequential and systematic approach; the following is a suggested route: -
- Start with concept consolidation in areas where concepts are critical (as mentioned above)
- Graduate to the next level where you practice across questions requiring an application of the key concepts
- Cement your preparation with practice across similar tests, thus improving your test taking strategies.
Overall, the test taker has to understand that CMAT is designed to assess you on certain core management skills like time management, prioritization, stress management, knowledge and balancing accuracy & speed.