The first step towards your CAT preparation is to have the complete information and knowledge of CAT 2021 Syllabus and the related important areas. CAT syllabus has been designed to assess the prospective admission seekers' suitability for MBA education. The exam is the primary filter used by all the 20 IIMs and several hundred other reputed colleges like S.P. Jain, FMS, MDI, etc. for admission to their MBA programs.
CAT 2021 Syllabus: An Overview
CAT 2021 exam will have three sections. Here is an overview of CAT 2021 Syllabus for your understanding:
|CAT Syllabus Sectional Division
||Main Topics in CAT 2021
|Quantitative Ability (QA)
||Geometry, Number System, Modern Math, Arithmetic, Mensuration, Algebra
|Data Interpretations & Logical Reasoning
||Team Formation, Seating Arrangement, Clocks and Calendars, Venn Diagrams, Bar Graphs
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
||Para-jumbles, Para-Summary, Long & Short Passages
Given below are the expected topics of CAT 2021 Syllabus, based on the pattern followed in the previous year exam.
CAT Syllabus 2021: Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
CAT Verbal Ability is one such area that has seen significant changes in topics and structure over the past couple of years. Going by the topics that appeared in the CAT 2020 exam, you need to prepare for the following important topics:
- Reading Comprehension: There were a total of 18 RC questions and 4 passages in the exam.
- Paragraph Summary: This is another area which has gained prominence over the last couple of years.
- Para-jumbles & Misfit Sentences: These two topics have become a regular in the exam over the last couple of years.
If you look at the above topics, you should be able to notice the absence of a significant number of topics. This is because over 70% weightage of VARC is dedicated to RC questions only. It is to be noted that there were only 8 VA in CAT 2020, all of which were non-MCQs. Nevertheless, the pattern keeps changing and you need to know about all the relevant topics that appeared in the last few years. Below are the other important areas of VARC:
- Sentence Completion
- Grammar & Usage (including questions based on common Grammar errors, Confusing Words, & Phrasal Verbs)
- Verbal Reasoning: Fact-Inference-Judgement
- Vocabulary based questions (mainly Fill in the blanks).
Remember, Grammar-based questions test the candidate's capability to mark and correct grammatical errors. CAT generally tests knowledge of high school level grammar and includes areas like use of articles, prepositions, use of modifiers, subject-verb agreement, parallel construction, phrasal verbs, redundancy etc.
CAT Syllabus 2021: Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
In DILR section, there are nearly equal number of questions of Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. Most of these questions feature in form of sets with 3-4 questions each. Listed below are the main topic of CAT DI and LR respectively:
- Caselets, Tables, Bar Graphs, Column Graphs, Line Charts, Venn Diagrams, Pie Charts, Combination of two or more types linked to each other
- Games & Tournaments, Number and Letter Series, Calendars; Cubes, Clocks, Venn Diagrams, Binary Logic, Seating Arrangement; Syllogism; Logical Sequence; Logical Connectives; Blood Relations.
CAT Syllabus 2021: Quantitative Ability (QA)
Quantitative ability is a wide-ranging section in CAT exam. In the last few years, there has been an increased focus on Arithmetic-based questions in QA. CAT 2020 featured 10-12 questions of arithmetic. Other topic of high weightage include Geometry (7-8 questions) and Algebra (6-7 questions). Make sure to go through the following topics to ace CAT QA 2021:
- Number Systems; LCM and HCF; Profit, Loss and Discount; Percentages; Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Simple and Compound Interest ; Ratio and Proportion; Averages
- Quadratic Equations; Linear Equations; Complex Numbers; Logarithm; Binomial Theorem; Sequences and Series; Surds and Indices; Inequalities
- Probability; Permutation and Combination; Set Theory; Functions;Mixtures and Alligations
- Geometry; Trigonometry; Coordinate Geometry; and Mensuration.
In order to boost your score, keep yourself updated with CAT Syllabus 2021 and the vital areas from which most questions will be asked. Once you have build your conceptual clarity in various topics, make sure to invest sufficient time in practicing them. Lastly, do visit the official CAT website for mock tutorials released in October 2021.